Saturday, January 12, 2013

Paperwork...

For anyone who has gone through the adoption process, you understand all of the paperwork that comes along with it. I thought we had a lot of paperwork to do just for applying for our home study and adoption agency. Well, now our home study is finished and approved and we are officially under contract with our adoption agency. The next step is compiling all the paperwork needed for our dossier. We need certified birth certificates, wedding certificate, notarized letters from our employers and doctors, a notarized letter from the sheriff's office, passports, etc...and a few other items. After we collect all of the required documents, we have to take them to the capital and have every item state certified. Then, and only then, will our dossier be complete and legal. Oh, and did I mention that we have to scrutinize every notary's signature to make sure it's signed correctly and that their commission doesn't expire before June 2014 (in case our adoption is held up). We've each had to request the doctor's office to redo their letter to make sure it's "correct". I'm sure they love us :)

And if this paperwork isn't enough, we are also beginning to look at grants (because adoptions, whether international or domestic, are expensive). Every grant issuer has their own paperwork requirements. Some of them have similar requirements, but they all seem to be slightly different. I'm trying to keep all of this stuff straight, but I'm not gonna lie, I am getting a little overcome with stress and emotions. It's during this time, that I just have to close my eyes and say, "Lord Jesus, please be with me as we go on this roller coaster ride. I need to feel Your presence and sense of peace." And I always seem to compose myself and feel Him with me. Jim and I have been through quite a ride since we've been married, but the Lord has gotten us through everyday and I will continue to follow Him where ever He leads us.

We are also in a very exciting, terrifying, ... time in our adoption journey. Any day now, we could receive a referral for a child from our adoption agency. What does that mean, you ask? That means we will be emailed 1-2 photos and a BRIEF explanation of the child (medical history, reason for abandonment, etc). We both are ready for a face and a name! Unfortunately, I think things will become even harder when we do have that face and name. We will want more than anything to have that child home with us and safe.

We'll keep you posted and hopefully soon we'll be able to let you all know about that precious child that is waiting for us!

Erin & Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment